Rutgers undergraduates who are accepted to present their research at professional conferences are invited to apply for special conference funding to help defray the costs of registration, travel, poster printing, and other associated expenditures. Funding cannot be used for meals, living expenses, tuition, or research expenses.
Funds are allocated through a competitive application process at the beginning of each month. Please note that the funding departments do not always fully fund student conference funding requests; we encourage students to seek funding from multiple sources (including departments). If the conference you are planning to attend falls before April, Conference Funding recipients will be required to present their work at the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Conference funding awards are offered jointly by the Aresty Research Center, the School of Arts and Sciences, the Honors College, and Douglass Residential College.
Eligibility and Requirements
Here are a few important guidelines regarding eligibility:
- Any Rutgers-New Brunswick undergraduate student is eligible to receive conference funding;
- Each applicant will need to have a faculty advisor who is willing to endorse his/her project and presentation;
- In all cases, the undergraduate must have significant involvement and independence in both formulating the question and conducting the investigation. Please note that the funding departments do not fund faculty- or graduate student-projects;
- Students applying to attend the same conference must submit individual applications;
- Students must be accepted to the conference they wish to attend before submitting an application.
- Student must apply for funding before attending the conference. Awards will not be made retroactively.
- Funding cannot be used for meals, living expenses, tuition, or research expenses.
- If the conference you are planning to attend falls before April, Conference Funding recipients will be required to present their work at the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium.
How to Apply
Begin by discussing your proposed project and presentation with a faculty advisor. This advisor should work closely with you to develop your budget request and should approve your proposal before submission to the Aresty Research Center. Once submitted, conference funding applications will be forwarded to the faculty advisor for approval. Once approved, all conference funding applications will be reviewed.
All applications will be completed online. The online application requires the following documents:
- Project overview
- Personal statement
- Budget request
- Advisor endorsement. Please note: applicants are responsible for ensuring their advisors submit letters by the 1st of the month, when proposals are reviewed. Proposals will not be considered without an advisor endorsement.
- Official confirmation of acceptance to present at conference
Simply complete the online application by the deadline. Students will be notified of the application status within two weeks.
Applications are due by 11:59pm on the last day of each month; funds for successful applications will be available within 15 - 30 days.